Drinking coffee is a multi-sensory experience, and our Salt Spring Coffee team wanted to prepare a warming, festive recipe that will look and smell just as delicious as its taste. So, we set out to a day’s work in our Education Centre, bringing together different ingredients and coffees and trying to find the perfect match.
We’re excited to present the winner of that long and tasty day’s work. It’s a festive treat that brings together the sweetness of maple syrup, the spiciness of fresh cinnamon and the velvety body of our Aceh Gayo coffee from Sumatra. The finishing touch? A splash of bold, yet satiny smooth amber bourbon, with sweet nutmeg notes. A garnish of fresh orange rind dresses up the drink and adds some pleasant citrus aroma.
As you can imagine, this makes a fantastic after-dinner drink for your guests, or a special holiday morning treat.
What You’ll Need
For one serving:
- 4 oz brewed Aceh Gayo coffee (our recommended brew method is a Pour Over)
- 1 oz organic maple syrup
- 1/4 oz Bulleit brand Bourbon
- 1 organic cinnamon sticks
- orange rind, for garnish
For a party of 4 (or 2 very committed indulgers):
- 16 oz brewed Aceh Gayo coffee, divided in 4 rocks glasses or small mugs
- 4 oz organic maple syrup
- 1 oz Bulleit brand Bourbon
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- orange rind for garnish
How to Prepare
- Brew coffee. If using the Pour Over brew method, add your cinnamon stick(s) to the carafe while brewing, to allow more time for the cinnamon flavour to steep.
- Pour coffee into glass of choice, along with cinnamon.
- Add maple syrup and Bourbon.
- Stir gently to mix all ingredients.
- Garnish with fresh orange rind. To achieve the festive coiled effect: use a peeler or peeling knife, and wrap the rind around the handle of a fork and place in fridge to set the shape.