Because we only have one planet
In March of 2012 we became a member of 1% for the Planet. The environmental challenges we face are enormous. The need for businesses to lead the way is even bigger.
1% for the Planet is a global movement of companies donating at least one per cent of their annual revenues to environmental organizations worldwide. Our membership not only allows us to be more strategic with our giving, but it’s also an opportunity to be part of a network of like-minded leaders, enabling us to do together what cannot be done alone. In short, 1% for the Planet offers a simple, tangible and proactive way for the business community to be a part of the solution.
Our first project as members is the launch of the Zero Hero Waste Program with our non-profit partner, LOCO BC. Now in the pilot stage, the objective is to create a tool businesses can use to reduce waste (and associated greenhouse gas emissions) from the average rate of 56% to less than 25%. We are currently working with our wholesale customers to create a solution that can work for all businesses.
Some of the organizations we’ve donated to as part of our 1% For the Planet membership:
- Sole Foods Street Farms. This organization ransforms vacant urban land into street farms that grow artisan quality fruits and vegetables, available at farmer’s markets, local restaurants and retail outlets.
- LOCO BC. LOCO is an alliance of local companies working to strengthen our communities, grow the local economy and build strong, sustainable businesses. In 2012, Salt Spring Coffee pioneered a Zero Hero Waste Program with LOCO BC with a goal to help business reduce their waste (and associated carbon emissions) from the average business rate of 56% to less than 25%. LOCO BC has been working with Salt Spring Coffee to improve its waste management system, and measure results. Now Salt Spring Coffee sends only 9% of material to the landfill or incinerator.
- HUB Cycling. HUB is a non-profit organization leading the way in making cycling an attractive choice for everyone in Metro Vancouver, BC, through education, action and events. Salt Spring Coffee has a Gold Level Corporate Membership.
- Richmond Sharing Farm (part of The Sharing Farm Society). For over a decade, this group of volunteers has been growing organic produce year-round, for Richmond families in need. They’ve donated well over 200,000 pounds of food in that time. We regularly support their main events, such as the Annual Garlic Festival and the Summer Solstice Potluck, while also donated $15,000 in 2014 toward the purchase of a tractor and produce cooler for the Farm.
- Young Agrarians. Young Agrarians is made up of agriculturalists, farmers (both urban and rural), market and community gardeners, community groups and academics, all committed to transforming our food economy, promoting agriculture, sustainability and building community. Young Agrarians is also a partner of Farm Folk City Folk, another non-profit organization that also seeks to build a sustainable and local food system. Over the years, through our membership in 1% For the Planet, Salt Spring Coffee has been involved in the events that these two organizations host, including potlucks and most recently, the Feast of Fields festival.
We look forward to many more exciting projects to come as we move forward with this important new piece of our business model.
Salt Spring Coffee | Believe in Being Better™
1-800-332-8858 | email@example.com